Ancient Myths, Their Meaning and Connection with Evolution
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Lecture I
- The nature of mythical thinking. Egyptian, Greek and Hebrew way to connect oneself with the Universe. Osiris-Isis Myth and the generation of the Gods of the Greeks. What had been spiritual experience in Egyptian and Greek myth became teaching in Old Testament.
- Lecture II
- Looking back on the change of soul in development of consciousness. Change from picture writing to letter script. Separation of the word from the soul experience. Formerly a change of consciousness at puberty. Forces underlying the feelings of nationalism. Development of abstract thought. Meaning of the cross.
- Lecture III
- How can Osiris be awakened to new life? Man must work towards the experiencing of Imaginations. The Veil of Isis. Man to learn to lift the veil of knowledge. He must lay hold of the Word. Instead, today, Man flees from Wisdom. Eulenspiegelism.
- Lecture IV
- The theory of heredity. The old Isis inscription and the motto which completes it for the present and the future. In the present time man is estranged from reality. Man turned gaze to the earth and now must turn to the spiritual. Inner mission of our time is the development of a spiritually free humanity.
- Lecture V
- The getting younger of humanity while advancing in time. In consequence the possibility of development of the single human being diminishes. Materialism must bring unhappiness and can be countered by Spiritual Science. Art of education is wanting. Friedrich Schlegel's demands for a spiritualization of science fails. Cannot build on old but through a new impulse.
- Lecture VI
- Duality of human being. Head-man and trunk-man. Transformation of head knowledge into heart knowledge. Transformation of education needed. Concepts of a mechanical universe have to be overcome so that child may feel himself to be a member of whole cosmos. When secrets of the world and of man become social wisdom of life then a social theory is possible that grasps real life. Lack in religion, also. Hatred of Czarism.
- Lecture VII
- Man is solution of world riddle. His being unites with a cosmic auric substance that streams into earth and out again. Today, no relation between head-man and heart-man. Mankind unable to find connection of its soul with its thoughts. Task of future educational science to enable child to feel how he is built up out of Cosmos. Value of myth and legend. What it accomplishes is rejuvenation of man and proper reaction between head and heart. Socialism is head knowledge and the head not of this earth. A spirituality connected with the earth's future must be found.
- Publisher's Notes